Do you wash your makeup off at night? We should, but I’m guilty of not doing it some nights. Is your makeup not performing like it should? Can you still see all the fine lines and creases with your makeup?
When our makeup isn’t doing what we want, we typically think it’s our makeup and we need to buy something new. That’s not always the case. Have you ever wondered if your skincare, or lack thereof, is to blame? Let me tell you why skincare is important for your makeup.
- Your skin is your canvas, and without a clean canvas your art will suffer. Washing your face does more than remove your makeup. Using a cleanser also removes the daily buildup of dirt and sweat. Without cleansing, you’ll end up with clogged pores and excessive oil. All that bacteria will get together and conspire to cause breakouts. Those breakouts will want you to put MORE makeup on, and it’s not a good cycle to be stuck in.I wash my face twice daily; morning and night. Even if I don’t wear makeup, I still cleanse at night to remove the daily buildup. Don’t skip your nightly routine! If you don’t have one, now’s the time to get one!
- Proper skincare also helps remove flaky and dead skin. You might be using a gentle exfoliator, or a cleanser that has gentle exfoliants in it. To get clean and glowing skin, you need to get rid of the dead stuff that will make your face look dull. Gentle is key! Scrubbing your face too harsh will leave it red and irritated. Let’s not do that, okay?
- Use skincare products that are formulated for your skin! If you have dry skin, use a product for dry skin. If you have sensitive skin or are prone to breakouts, use a regime for those concerns. Not all products are created equal, and everyone has their own skin concerns.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! After cleansing your face, put moisture back in with a moisturizer. Even if you have oily skin. Oily skin doesn’t mean you can skimp out on moisturizer. Without proper hydration, your face will produce more oil. Your makeup will want to absorb into your skin if your skin isn’t hydrated. It’ll find all those pores, fine lines, and creases and settle right in.
- Proper skincare not only helps your makeup look better, but you may be able to use less makeup over time. You won’t have to cover up blemishes and cake on concealers and powders if you skin has a nice base.
There are a TON of products on the market. It can be overwhelming shopping for a new skincare routine with all the different brands, skincare concerns, and product ingredients. My absolute go to is Beautycounter. The ingredients are cleaner and they are cruelty free. They have a Never List of ingredients they never use. So what they do use is GOOD for our skin. Yes, I am a consultant, but because I believe in the products. I use them twice daily as my routine. Not only have my skincare concerns improved, but I’m able to use less makeup and actually feel comfortable. My skin is brighter and it FEELS better. I’ve gone from dry, dull, tired mama skin, to much brighter and cleaner.
I’d love to help you find a routine that works best for you! Let’s get in touch and find the products your skin needs. Start shopping below and let’s connect!